Incredible women, breaking barriers and overcoming boundaries, achieving more than ever before…yet there still seems to be the lingering question of finding our own voice.
We can talk and talk about our accomplishments, but not about something we feel or something we are passionate about.
I conduct a lot of executive coaching, and the women, incredible women, are achieving their highest career goals and doing incredible things. Yet they are constantly feeling they need to qualify for their success.
Posting things like over two decades of international experience on their profiles when they have already earned the right not to explain how they got to the exalted position they are in!
It’s not quite the imposter syndrome, but it is this feeling of uncertainty, the value of our voice.
They still struggle to find their unique voice or value proposition (what they can give back to the world) and feel confident sharing it. They are good at what they do but lack the courage to use their voice.
Every voice matters. Of course, it does.
A unique voice refers to the distinct and unmistakable style of communication characterized by its tone, vocabulary, and perspective.
It is what sets you apart from others and makes you instantly recognizable. It adds depth and personality and allows us to connect with each other on a more profound and memorable level.
Have you ever had a YouTube video sent to you, and the content is good, but you can’t stand the sound of the person's voice?
So you miss out on the great content. Because you just need to turn it off!
The fact is that voice works for an audience, and your voice might work for another audience. That’s the beauty of the world we live in. There is a place for everyone if they can find it.
There is always value in what you have to say, what women have to say.
You will reach other women who need your version of your story to inspire them, educate them, inform them and make better decisions based on new perspectives.
So, take time to understand that your voice matters.
A personal value proposition is a concise declaration of an individual's core beliefs, principles, and ethical standards. It is a compass.
You can use it to align your actions and choices and remind yourself of who you are and why you matter.
The term authenticity is bandied around a lot, but the truth of the matter is if you don’t believe in it and believe it yourself, then you can’t have an authentic and unique voice.
When I am coaching, I use a simple questionnaire to unlock the values, the passions, the care that they feel from topics, for themselves, and things that they have done they are passionate about.
Recently, I coached a woman working on non-profit work, doing good, but she also helped produce forty documentaries! That is the someone I want to hear from, don’t you?
How about the woman competing in the over 60’s free dive competition?
A woman writing a book about her story of homelessness?
Or a woman transitioning in life and finding ways to support others going through the same thing?
Yes, work plays a part, but it is not the whole picture.
Once the interview is complete, I use this to generate their value proposition. Who they are, what unique skills they bring and who they bring them to.
Without fail, these women are astonished to read that simple one-sentence that describes them so accurately.
They often can’t believe it. “That’s me.”
“Yes, because I based your value proposition on what you told me...and what I heard between the lines.”
It is the absolute joy of my coaching sessions to help people uncover and define their value.
Use that unique voice and your value proposition as a foundation of your power. Use it to change perspectives and minds and share who you are.
If you need more inspiration, then choose one action from the list below and get moving. We can’t do everything, but we can do one thing that helps us all.
1. Embrace Self-Confidence: Ladies, the first step to female empowerment is to believe in yourselves. Know that you are capable, strong, and worthy.
2. Education is Key: Knowledge is power. Seek education and expertise in your chosen field to break down barriers and shatter stereotypes.
3. Support Sisterhood: Lift each other up. Empowerment is about unity, so support and encourage your fellow women in their endeavours.
4. Challenge Gender Norms: Don't be confined by societal expectations. Challenge gender norms and fight for equality in every aspect of life.
5. Advocate for Change: Use your voice to advocate for gender equality in the workplace, politics, and society. Be a catalyst for change.
6. Mentor and Be Mentored: Mentorship can be a powerful tool. Seek mentors who inspire you, and pay it forward by mentoring the next generation.
7. Celebrate Achievements: Recognize and celebrate the achievements of women from all walks of life. Their success paves the way for future generations.
8. Self-Care Matters: Remember, self-empowerment starts from within. Take care of your physical and mental health to stay strong and resilient.
9. Speak Out Against Injustice: Don't be silent in the face of injustice. Use your voice to speak out against discrimination, harassment, and inequality.
10. Lead by Example: Be a role model for future generations. Show them that it's possible to break barriers and achieve their dreams.
11. Advocate for Equal Pay: Fight for equal pay for equal work. Know your worth and demand fair compensation.
12. Political Engagement: Get involved in politics. Support female leaders and run for office to influence policies that empower women.
13. Promote Diversity: Encourage diversity and inclusion in all spheres of life. Celebrate the uniqueness of every woman.
14. Never Give Up: Perseverance is key. In the face of adversity, keep pushing forward. You have the strength to overcome challenges.
15. Support Women's Rights: Stand up for reproductive rights, gender-based violence prevention, and women's access to healthcare and education.
Remember, becoming a powerhouse is a journey, and it starts with finding your own voice and using it to inspire and uplift others.
Together, we can create a world that can handle this many powerful women!